Saturday, January 16, 2010

Whether you think you can....


Henry Ford, made this statement once, "Whether you think you can or can't, you're probably right."  There is a lot of truth in that simple statement.

Sometimes it's hard to be positive. Sometimes, no matter how much you shine, no matter how bright your idea, it gets shot down.  However, I am a firm believer in being my own worst critic.  When I've been knocked down, I use it as a time of reflection.  It's a great time to look back and re-think through why an idea did not pan out. Why I overlooked something that I obviously missed.

For instance I thought why hasn't someone used the Netflix Model or the RedBox model for books, I mean look at Amazon, it's selling millions of books a year.  And I bounced the idea off of a friend.  He shot back immediately: Nook and Kindle.  And in kind I responded; "But they are electronic, and you have to go buy one first".  Then there is the whole cost involved with that.

But I immediately identified some obvious flaws in the system.  Stock of books on hand; each time someone reads a book it gets worn a bit; how many reads till it wears out the book? Two, ten?  What about spills and other things?  Long story short, I decided, I have no idea why this wouldn't work, but a list of reasons why it wasn't something I'd pursue.

As it turns out, there is such a site/service: http://www.bookswim.com/value.html

And they have over 200,000 titles available.  And a model based on single to multiple books....This may be perfect for the person who is an avid reader, and normally spends anywhere from $100-$300 per year on books from the local bookstore.

In this case I decided I can't do this.  And H. Ford was right. Although I chose not to do it. I realized almost immediately and hours before I found the aforementioned bookswim site, it certainly wasn't going to work for me. Fact is I had realized that within a few moments.   Someone else though, has figured it out and made a viable business. They had the thought and the 'can'.

However, I had no idea they have been out there since 2006.  No one, has ever turned me onto them, no one has said, "Hey check out this site!"  And I have a lot of friends and family who are voracious readers. Chances are they don't know of bookswim.com either - or I might have heard of them already.

But whether you can or you can't is telling.  I decided I can't, and I won't eventually be a competitor to them. That's not a business I'm willing to pursue.  I will and I am a competitor to large organizations in the job board field. I will grow govtcontractorjobs.com  but I will only be for the niche of government contractors listed on the CCR.

I may have setbacks, I may have a bad day, we all do; but the I CAN will defeat the I can't every time.   If you have had a setback, or you are looking for other employment. If you feel defeated, don't give up. You can get through this, you can bounce back. You can create your own destiny. You can look at the companies who are hiring, direct, today. www.govtcontractorjobs.com


No comments:

Post a Comment