Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Be like Buck.

Do you ever remember reading Call of the Wild, by Jack London? Buck was a sheltered dog who when faced with the realities and harshness of the real world returned to his instincts. He became quite savage when the time required. It was set in the Yukon territory. If you don't have a copy or haven't read it in some time, I invite you to get it free: Call of the Wild

Buck was the protagonist in this story, and overcomes the difficulties thrown at him, including nearly starving, and savage attacks. Buck overcomes. It's a dog's story yes, but I ask you to draw a corollary.  Could you equally gain as much, if you were to be like Buck? Persistence was the key to Buck pulling a sled that only ten other dogs could pull.

If you are looking for a position that betters your life, are you persistent? Are you diligently seeking what it is you want? Have you defined what exactly you want?  I pose these questions to the reader, often.  Consider this, practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

I know personally the effects of being laid off. I know personally the effect it can have on self esteem. However, no matter what happens, it is up to you to be like Buck.  You are the only person who can give yourself a fighting chance.

Here's a short checklist of things to consider:

1. Have I decided what position I am going to pursue?

If you haven't I urge you to read go here and read this column.

2. Have I written out the plans I need to take me there?

It doesn't matter if you want to go to Hamburger University at McDonald's or if you want to go to Harvard, this is your plan and your dream.

3. Am I doing everything possible I can to make my plans happen?

Are you following up with employers? Are you studying employers facts and figures? Are you prepping yourself for the interview?

Be like Buck. Give yourself a fighting chance. Be determined.  Feeling the call of the wild? Feel like Alaska may be in your future? Here is a list of jobs in Alaska who are hiring right now: Jobs in Alaska listed at www.govtcontractorjobs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment