Friday, January 16, 2009

Why would I want to work for a government contractor?

Generally you will find that a government contractor, whether they are in the top 100, or the bottom 10,000 are going to be a more stable employer. In fact on one of the current contractors is hiring over 200 for entry level administrative positions. The caveat: They have to pay better than the prevailing wage. For instance in Ft. Wainwright, Alaska, the position for admin paid $15.75 per hour. That's $32,760 to be an admin. Now I don't know what the cost of living is at Ft. Wainwright, but that's what I'd consider decent pay; it was more than I made at my first job as a systems administrator! On top of that nice salary, there are ten holidays, plus vacation, and benefits!


Not a bad starting job for someone. Another contractor is offering a position as CIO in Qatar. Now I have no idea what the salary is, but I am quite certain that it will pay well into the six figure range. Again, it's stable employment from entry level to CXO. Salary, benefits, vacation, and in this case, world travel!

Another nice thing about being in the employ of a government contractor is the opportunity to move within the corporation. Most corporations know that an employee is an investment; if you are not happy, get happy! Ask for a career change, even if it's lateral. Companies, large and small want to keep their employees long term. I was talking with the president of a small contractor this week, and he said, "We want someone who wants a long term career, not a job hopper, we want someone to stick with us." And his company offers 401K, education and supplements to health insurance. A nice place. One of the large contractors I worked for was upfront with me. My manger told me, this position will have no upward momentum, but when you are ready, we can move you up in the company, just at a different location. They all want to keep good employees!

Find your long-term career with stable employment today! http://www.govtcontractorjobs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment