Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck, Goose!

Do you remember playing that game when you were a kid?  Our rules were, everyone stood in a circle, facing each other, and the 'runner' named duck, duck, duck, until they tapped the 'goose' and ran; hoping beyond hope, that they couldn't be caught by the goose. And the 'goose' that got tapped, runs as fast as they can to catch the goose who tapped them.  It's a fun game. But when you are looking for a job, it's not fun to play games.

 

Ever put resumes out to a bunch of companies, and feel like you were playing duck, duck, goose?  I mean after all you initiated contact, through a big board, or possible a recruiter off of a big board.  And you are thinking, you know, after the initial phone screen from the recruiter of 'King Recruiters' they must be looking out for you. They immediately call your references, and they call you back, twice, and ask you to tweak your resume. And you comply both times. Then you find out when they submit it, (along with fifteen to fifty others) you'll 'fit in' or 'stand out' or whatever nomenclature they are throwing around.

 

Now I'm not knocking recruiters, there are some fine ones out there that do a fantastic job.  Others are merely e-mail and resume harvesters. And I've dealt with both.  The best recruiters I ever worked for were ones I initiated contact to, and they worked for a company that I was courting. Yes, almost like a date!  The company I wanted a job with was the highest paying contractor, and they had excellent benefits.  Now it didn't mean that they were the best managed, nor most profitable. But it didn't matter to me.  I was after the two big factors for myself: higher pay, and excellent health benefits.

 

So, what happened?  I initiated contact with the recruiter of the company.  I did my research, and found out their title and position.  I sent an e-mail with a cover letter. I let the recruiter know; I understand you may not be hiring now, however, I would like to be considered for a position within your company if one becomes available in my area of expertise.

 

Well, the recruiter emailed me back, and let me know they weren't hiring, but he would keep my resume, and follow up with me.  About a month later, I followed up with another e-mail to let him know I was still interested in working for the company.  There was no response, but that was ok.  I followed up the next month, and let him know I was still interested in working for the company.  No response....thirty days goes by, and low and behold, I get an e-mail.

 

And you know what I did, I trashed it. I had been contacted that particular week by six different recruiters, on the phone, and in my e-mail. Those recruiters were third party recruiters whom had 'courted' me.  So, you know what he did next, he called me the next day and left a voice mail.  He asked, are you still interested in working for our company.  Ah! They called me! 

 

I was ecstatic!  I called him back, I got voice mail. He e-mailed me a response; I thought it was another recruiter again; I had set up mail rules to 'delete such spam'.  He called me, left a message, I called back left a message; and if it were not for the diligence of both parties involved I wouldn't have gotten a position I had requested three months earlier.

 

When I did get the first phone screen, I let him know; I had been hounded relentlessly from a set of recruiters, and wasn't blatantly ignoring his e-mail.  Ultimately, I got the position, and moved to that company, post haste.

 

I learned a lesson:

1. Don't setup generic rules that will prevent you from getting e-mail you want.

2. I found that the best way to get hired was to contact the company I wanted to work for, and pursue them.

3. Follow up --as many times as it takes.

4. Be courteous. Return calls, and return e-mails.

 

Still looking for that perfect company who is hiring now AND has benefits you want?  http://www.govtcontractorjobs.com

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment