Saturday, January 3, 2009

On Resumé Layout Writing and Format - Success

1. Spell Check
2. Read it outloud.
3. Have a trusted friend read it outloud.
4. Have it proof read by a third person.

Mistakes in grammar, and spelling are probably one of the most glaring mistakes.  Telling nonchalant stories instead of putting down facts relevant to the position you've had.   Has it been over five years since you've updated your resumé?  By the way, wonder how to get the accent mark over the é?  Hold down the Alt button, and type on the keypad, right of the keyboard, 0233
-it will not work on the number keys above the keyboard.   Again that's ALT+0233 (é)

Give it a shot!

Now about resume formats; there are generally four:
1. Chronological
2. Functional
3. Combination
4. Targeted

The chronological is starting with the first job last, and working backward from there.  Some persons will tell you ONLY ONE PAGE...maybe if your twenty two.  Once you are mid-career, it's fine to have two, and possibly 3 pages.

Bullet points are your friend.  Use them to highlight the objectives of the position you held, and to further deliniate your skillset.

Chronological are wanted by a majority of employers; for instance from personal experience. I know one top three federal contractors told me this; I was lucky, their resumé parsing machine only kicks forward resumés  that match 90 percent of the job description buzz words.  And that was just to get a call from their internal recruiter. Ultimately the position wasn't a fit, but the recruiter was nice enough to answer some of my questions I asked.  
1. How did I end up getting picked for a call? -Explanation in the above paragraph.
2. Any suggestions? Yes! Get your resume in a chronological format.                                                  

So there you go....I didn't get in front of the hiring manager that time, nor did I get  a phone interview, generally the first step these days.  But, guess what; I changed my resume to chronological, and have resubmitted for a different position, and I got an interview.  

Why did I have a functional resume before?  Well, I had revamped my resume based on the suggestion of another friend.  I mirrored my resume format from his, and he had his professionally done. -and then I realized we were at different points.  His was based on pursuing an executive level job; mine was for a managerial technical position.  In fact mine was based on obtaining a directorship/managerial level.  But it is a tight market.  So I changed my resume back to chronological, highlighting my technical expertise.  Guess what, I have had five job offers.

Combination: It lists your skills and experience first. Your employment history is next.  This is a resumé that highlights the skills that coincide with the position you are applying for.      

Targeted:  Alright, let's talk about this just a second. This is the most intensive type of resume, it's written specifically for the job posting.  Found skills in your resume and skills in the job listing identical?  This would be a great time to revamp your resume to show the skillset you have which meshes precisely with the position you want.

Idea for you. Create one of each.   However if you find yourself un-employed and with time on your hands, do your research, and send in the targeted resume.

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success in uncommon hours." - Henry David Thoreau

Find a job where they are hiring now: www.govtcontractorjobs.com

                                                      

1 comment:

  1. Very informative! You have great passion in helping others!@bose
    Resume Formats

    ReplyDelete